Monday, October 12, 2009

Staying Motivated

Staying motivated while in-between races is a hard thing for me. The training I put in during the week can get quite mundane. I would love to have a dirt trail to run on. But unfortunately I don't. So what do I do to stay motivated?
I pick up some good reading material such as books. This book is filled with helpful info such how to train for races, proper eating habits, cross-training and other useful advice.
Another book I just finished reading is this one about a woman's journey to becoming an ultra-marathoner. An ultra-marathoner runs more than the usual 26.2 marathon miles. She won the Badwater Ultramarathon race twice. This race is 135 miles and goes from Death Valley to Mount Whitney. Can you imagine!?!? She also holds the record for the first woman to run 300 miles without any sleep. Amazing!
And then magazines are filled with fun stories and useful info. I like the Womens Running since it is geared toward women but I went ahead and picked up this Runners World and am currently enjoying it.

This morning it is cooler and rainy which makes me wonder if I will be able to go out and run today. Also, this past Friday my right knee came up with a new pain. It's not unusual for me to have achy knees sometimes, but this is a different type of pain.

I have a race coming up this Sat. a.m. and am concerned that I may not be able to compete. I guess I will have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The books and magazines look like they would be great reads. Sorry about that new pain in your knee. Sometimes I like to ignore those new feelings and just hope they go away. We have had a very rainy day too. I hope your knee is nothing serious - you take care Susie.