Friday, August 21, 2009

The Beginning of The Run

I guess you could say I have always been the athletic type. Way back in high school I was definitely a runner. A sprinter mind you, and not a long distance runner. In those days if someone had told me I would be running long distance one day, I would have laughed. But they would have been right. I use to run 10k's years ago when I lived in GA but now I train for 5k races. (I use the term "train" lightly).

I had quit running before we moved from GA. My knees were giving me fits so I had resorted to walking with my husband. Since living here in MS we have continued walking for exercise with an occasional run(a few yards) here or there.

There's a nice park convenient to work that I stop at to exercise. It has a one mile paved trail that makes it easy to keep time. Back in February of this year while walking I decided to run a mile and see how it felt. When I finished I didn't feel too bad. The next time I ran I tried it again and again. I would run a lap, walk a lap, and then run another.

Next I decided to run 2 or 3 laps without walking. I guess the cool winter days were helping because I wasn't feeling too bad. As a matter-of-fact I think I was actually enjoying it. I began keeping my times which were around 27 minutes. I didn't think that was too bad for someone my age.

I started researching some times on the MS Track Club and saw that I might actually be able to compete with women my age. Wow! What a surprise! I never imagined that.

So, I guess that is where my quest began. Stay tuned.

No comments: