Wednesday, August 26, 2009

MS State Senior Olympics-5k

5/16/09-I never knew such a race, or the senior olympics, existed. I heard about this 5k thru the track club. This race took place at MS college in Clinton. It would start on the track and then run thru the campus.

The race started at 7:30 a.m. so I had to be up around 5:00. Clinton is about a 30-40 minute drive from home. After my morning race day rituals we headed out. I was feeling pretty nervous about this race. Maybe it was because we had a ways to drive and that gave me plenty of time for the nerves to wreak havoc.

We we arrived at MS college there were a few people mingling about. It was a sunny, and already, warm morning. I went ahead and signed in and got my number. It was number 1. I hoped that was a good omen.

As the starting time drew closer I noticed there was mostly men showing up. So, in the end, I was the only female runner. There were some women who were walking the race tho. So that made me feel a little better.

So we all walked across the track to the opposite side and the race began. After 1 1/2 times around, out we went. Up a small hill and then out to the streets. Did I mention hilly streets? Oh no, another hilly course. And this course would repeat itself so I knew after the first round just exactly how many more hills I had to run. Looking back, I think that probably helped tho.

Toward the end I was so happy to see the track again. As I went back down into the track field I could smell the finish. I crossed the finish line at 24:35, a few seconds faster than my last race. Wow, I couldn't believe it!

In the end I took a first place medal. I finished 3rd overall. I got to stand on the podium just like in the olympics.I was told that if this had been a qualifying year for the National Senior Olympics more people would have participated. So, next year will be a qualifying year for the Nationals which will be in 2011.

I don't know if every state has a Senior Olympics but they do allow competitors to participate in other state's olympics.

When I was younger I always dreamed of running in the olympics. Well that didn't happen then so hopefully this will be my chance. I believe that God has always directed my life and knows what's best for me. God's timing is perfect!

No comments: